About Me

My photo
(THIS BLOG IS NOT AFFLIATED WITH NOR DOES IT REPRESENT VALUE VILLAGE) Welcome to the (Value) Village Art Gallery. I’m your host, Curator SadHoboClown, and I will be your guide throughout the tour. Here you will find, free of charge, some of the most fantastic and awe-inspiring paintings ever gazed upon by the eyes of mankind. Our intention here is not to make anyone feel bad for having possibly created what many would consider to be bad art: I myself am a would-be artist and I’ve done some truly terrible things with paint and canvas, for which my conscience still plagues me. However: I honestly believe that most of the paintings you will see here can be considered charming: in them you are able to see the stumbling, tottering baby-steps that various artists have taken in the process of learning how to do something they’ve perhaps never done before. The point is that most people can only get better at something if they start out not better at something, right? So even if I’m being a bit of a wise-ass at times, bear in mind that it’s all in fun. Bad Art is still Art! (DISCLAIMER: THIS SITE AND ALL ITS CONTENTS ARE FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY. DON'T HAVE A COW, MAN!!!)

Saturday, August 2, 2025

Taps (Acrylic on Canvas)


(Value Village Art Gallery Favorite)

Okay. So I don't really know what's up with this painting. It is so...trendy-feeling I initially wondered if it might not actually be retail/commercial art. I know, I know: it certainly doesn't look like what you might find in the Home Decor section of Target. But: it has that Hipster Esthetic to it that makes this feel commercial in a way. Add to all this the fact that there were older price tags on this thing, not counting the Value Village one: one on the back for $5 and one on the front for $3 - what's THAT all about?!? This painting, if not machine-painted or screen printed, is worth ten times those amounts all day long. So. I dunno what to make of this. If it's amateur art, it stays in the gallery AND as a Favorite. If someone can research this and demonstrate to me that it's a Ringer, it'll get removed.

On to the guts of this review. I like it. It's intentionally cartoony so we won't hold the two-dimensionalness of the Pale Ale tap against it: it's a feature, not a bug. Nor will we hold the oft-overdone semi-"Starry Night" swirls against it, since beer drunks often see such swirls in Real Life. 

This is a fun, engaging painting and while my wife and I don't have the right place for it in our home, I wish we did so that I could have bought this.

(Postscript: I went back a couple of hours later and bought it anyway. We made a place for it.)



To the assumedly-legit amateur artist who painted this: good work! 👍

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey feel free to comment. But be aware: I’m going to check what you say before it gets posted. Have fun!