Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Masque and Candles (Oil on Pressboard)


(Value Village Art Gallery Favorite)

I had to do a little research in order to figure out what to call the substance this was painted onto. I think it’s called pressboard. Like what they used on clipboards long ago. Brown and smooth on both sides, but if you were to break it in half it’s kind of fibrous and splintery inside.

ANYWAY. When I first found this, I was like “ugh, it’s stupid and awful” mainly because it’s a little static and a lot boring. But then I got to looking at the brush strokes and the subtle variations of color, on the mask at first, and then the candles and background as well and realized that this is a very very technically-proficient painting. I mean, I wish it wasn’t such a “blah” subject, but it’s like almost perfectly executed, color / shading / depthwise. The flames are humdrum but I feel like maybe they’re that way because in the context of the painting they needed to be? Or maybe they’re even supposed to be candle flame lightbulbs? My point is that the skill here is such that I really don’t care.

There’s a quality of casual, coarse, confident and almost disdainful competence here. These broad brushstrokes kick all sorts of ass! I wish this thing were signed. Maybe I’ll go back tomorrow and buy it.

Despite there being no feet, Gulley Jimson would approve of this painting I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey feel free to comment. But be aware: I’m going to check what you say before it gets posted. Have fun!